Monday, November 25, 2013

November 25, 2013

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I feel like I have A LOT to update you in the past week, so I'll try and type as fast as I can:

First off, with Thanksgiving not a week away we finally found a place for us to go for Thanksgiving this past Saturday! Their two daughters are in our YSA, and they say they try and have the missionaries at their home each Thanksgiving as a tradition! Thank heavens or else who knows where we might be. :) No I am sure it would have all worked out. I don't know much about them, except Sister O says their kids were all home schooled. Seems like that is a reoccurring thing in my life. It'll be good, the mom told us that she will make us any dish that we request (though I have none- it is a really nice offer!)

Also yes, we got "snowed-in" yesterday. Which means like barely anything, but apparently Texas doesn't own snow plows- and Texans don't know how to drive in the snow. So they cancelled church (which was a BIG bummer for us: not only do we look forward to church all week, but for the first time this transfer we had 3 investigators and a less active who were all planning on being there yesterday! But we know it'll all work out.)  They also had us stay inside all day. And can I just say how happy I am to be out again! It was nice we got lots of paperwork, and letters written, but there is nothing quite like being a missionary cooped up all day! Yuck! But Sister O said it was really good for her, so there was a blessing that came out of it. 

Sister O is doing better. No more big panic attacks. This is a process though, and I am just glad I can be of service. I know that I am with her for a direct reason. For me to learn from her and for her to learn from me. I also can see how all my past experiences have given me the understanding, patience, and will to help her. So I am so grateful for this chance. I just love Sister O. 

Oh by the way transfer calls are coming this Saturday. I'll be shocked if I transfer, for my last transfer: but I do hope I stay with Sister O!

So we are teaching a guy named M, he is from Czech Republic, studying Physical Therapy here at Tech. Sister O has been teaching him for a month or so before I came. Well we finally had our first lesson with him this past week, and he won't accept a baptismal date. I declared after that lesson that young single adult men from ALL nationalities have commitment problems! What is this whole world coming to?! :)

We also have been working hand in hand with the ward council here to rescue and find all the less actives in the ward. So I have been calling all of these unknown people to try and locate them. There have been a few (one in particular) who were not so happy about us calling (I got yelled at), but for the most part it has been really rewarding! One that really warms my heart is a guy named A. He was baptized about 2 years ago, but took a job that had him working on Sundays and he moved from where we last knew he lived. So I called him up, he was one of the few who actually answered, and we set up an appointment. We met this past Wednesday and he said how he has been wanting to come back to church, and that he actually is looking at a job offer that has him working only weekdays, and that this might be his answer to take the job! It was so wonderful! We are going to keep meeting with him, and reteach him the lessons. On the way out of the lesson we asked him if he had been to the temple, which he had, and he told us he has the Aaronic Priesthood and he would really like the Melchizedek priesthood! You don't hear that everyday!! So amazing! 

We had another miracle like that this past week. We had already made our plans for the following day, but while I was preparing for bed a couple came to my mind, to try and see. Mind you I had never seen this couple, only heard about them from Sister O. But our night was already packed with other people we were going to try. But then then next morning they again came to my mind. So we changed our plans and moved things around and fit a time in to try them that evening. And miracle: they were home! I love these amazing blessing of being a missionary! the Spirit is amazing! There are plenty of times when I think I have been inspired to try someone at a certain time, but they aren't home. But we have to diligently try anyway, and sometimes it just pays off!! 

Oh I don't know how, but I almost forgot to tell you the funniest story from this week. So it was raining on Thursday night, and it froze... So our car was miserable the next morning. And due to the fact that we live in Texas, we don't have ice scrapers. So what did we use instead?! Spatulas!! It took us about 20 minutes to clear of our car- with lots of scraping, and wacking, and arm muscles! Too funny!  Always an adventure! 

Love you lots! I am so grateful for how supportive, and loving you have all been as I have been here. HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Gobble till you wobble! And eat lots of cranberry frozen deliciousness for me! xoxoxoxo 

Sister Peterson






No comments:

Post a Comment